Rifle Range Rules
1. All ranges are controlled by the light and buzzer system.
a) All ranges commence firing and cease firing simultaneously.
b) Everyone is responsible for safety. ANYONE may call for a cease-fire
by sounding the buzzer.
2. The Buzzer is used to gain the attention of the firing line. Determine the reason for the buzzer and act accordingly.
CEASE FIRE! Make firearms safe! Find out why the buzzer sounded.
3. Buzzer must sound in conjunction with the light being turned on.
a) RED LIGHT FLASHING: CEASE-FIRE, open actions, unload firearms,
no handling of firearms and stand clear of the firing line. Handling of
firearms or equipment on the firing line is NOT permitted under the
b) RED LIGHT turned off: All clear and commence firing. Everyone
should ensure that down range is clear and safe. LOOK carefully between
c) Everyone shooting is responsible for making sure the red light is used
and everyone has a chance to post their target and take it down when
they are finished shooting.
d) The light system is also in effect before and after shooting hours.
4. All firearms must be unloaded and actions shall remain open except when in
use on the range under when the red light is off.
5. Hearing and eye protection are required the general area.
a) All targets must be placed on and fastened to the target boards provided.
b) Targets are commercially printed or handmade lightweight cardboard
or paper, steel plates that are hung on your own poles. No targets are to
be hung on the backboards where the posts or cross boards will be shot.
Shooting the rocks on the rifle range at the various distances is PROHIBITED! This rule was changed at the Feb 2017 Membership Meeting
c) Firing at objects other than described is prohibited, anyone shooting
glass bottles or glass of any kind will lose their membership.
d) “Cross firing” or shooting across lanes is prohibited.
e) No incendiary or armor piercing ammunition is to be used.
f) All targets are to be removed when you are finished shooting.
7. Recommended relay time is 20 minutes.
8. NEVER POINT FIREARMS AT ANYONE! This includes when you place or remove
firearms from the firing line.
9. Clean up and dispose of your spent casing shells and trash.
10. Brass in front of the shooting area or benches should only be picked up during a SAFETY LIGHT.
11. Scavenging for used bullets behind target frames is prohibited.
12. All firing must be done from established firing lines and safe areas to shoot prone, kneeling and standing.
13. Misfired ammunition: Treat with caution. Cartridges that fail to fire must NOT be disposed of anywhere on the grounds including trash and rubbish bins. You are responsible for your own misfired ammunition.
14. A muzzleloader is considered unloaded when the powder has been spent from the barrel.
15. Never prime or cap a muzzleloader until reaching the firing line.
Mifflin County Sportsmen’s Association General Rules
1. SAFETY & Courtesy first!
2. Current membership cards must be displayed with number visible while using the premises.
a) Membership runs from January 1st to December 31st.
b) Only members may use these ranges except for special events
with board approval.
3. Close and lock the gate when entering or leaving club property.
4. All junior members must be under the direct supervision of a
parent or an adult.
5. SHOOTING TIMES
a) Rifle, pistol, trap, five stand and shotgun pattern board.
Weekdays and Saturdays: 7:00 am until posted on rang board.
b) Archery: Daily: Sunrise to Sunset.
6. Board of directors must approve all organized shoots.
7. Worn side arms must comply with Pennsylvania State Law.
8. Speed limit on club grounds is 20MPH as this is for the safety of all members.
9. Park vehicles in parking lot and designated areas.
10. Destruction or mutilation of club property shall be cause for appearance of the Board of Directors for disciplinary action, which may also be cause for arrest and prosecution. Violators will be responsible to pay for damages.
11. Any violation of club rules may be sufficient cause for disciplinary action and or arrest and prosecution.
12. Please keep grounds clean.
13. No alcoholic beverages are permitted on ranges and parking areas.
14. No smoking in the clubhouse.